Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

1.28.2007

Social consequences of a cutting diet

This is a short follow up to my last post about my new restrictive eating habits. While, this is a thing if followed properly should be expected it is harder at sometimes over others. I made it through my friends BBQ and a Basketball game with some ease. A Friday night out in Adams Morgan was a bit harder. Even though I am allowing myself cheat days which could include drinking after nearly three weeks of eating well my desire to do so has seriously waned. So, on Friday night after picking up one of my best friends at the airport and heading straight out I spent the entire night not having a single drink. I did drive which is reason enough not to drink, but I drove only because I did not intend on drinking. I could have just as easily taken the metro or cabs but knowing I did not want to drink driving made more sense. However, as someone who can barely stand Adams Morgan when absolutely hammered it was near impossible to have a good time there sober. Being the only sober one I thought I would be the only one to notice what a bad night it was out in DC, but my friends from Florida noticed despite lots of shot. It was really cold out, which might explain a little bit of it, but the ratios were horrible, seemingly 10 guys to every girl that came out. And of the girls that were out they seemed to be the dregs of DC nightlife. Most places were crowded still and I do not like crowds when drunk, especially when it is almost all guys, which usually just lead to fights. All in all, my friends and I had a decent time even though a night out sober is way different than a night out drunk. I somehow managed to not get home until 5 am after driving my drunken friends back home and stopping at least half a dozen times for one of them to throw up. He thankfully, did none of this in my car.

My friends I am sure appreciated that I was driving and I bet they were happy that I was not drinking while driving them. However, I wonder if I had told them that I was not drinking because I was trying to be healthier how they would react. And I think it will come up eventually because after a few weeks of eating better I can already feel an emotional and physical change to how I eat and in this case drink. For 3-5 days a week I restrict myself while allowing for about 1-2 days of cheating and increased calories/carb intake. On those cheat days I find myself oddly not craving bad food or drinks, just the normal good foods that I am not eating. Yesterday was my cheat day and I ate brown rice and other whole wheat foods, nothing you would consider bad for you but it felt like I was cheating. Today I am back on the restricted cycle and it really isn’t all that hard, plus the results are pretty intoxicating on their own. I just hope my friends will be able to understand, most people don’t like when their friends change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home