Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

1.24.2007

I’m a gym rat

Not sure why I feel like writing about this today after all these years of doing it. Maybe someone will take something from it. Anyway, I am a major gym rat, I have an addiction to working out and while most people view it as a chore or something they must do I prefer to think of it as something I want to do forever. When I am in the gym and I see the senior citizens walking around with their trainers I think that someday that will be me. Well, minus the trainer. I wasn’t always this way of course but once I got a taste I was hooked. I grew up just like any other kid playing sports, baseball, basketball and football. But it wasn’t until I tried playing football in high school that I had to lift weights. I still remember when I got the football team workout plan and how I could barely lift any weight at all. My bench press max was like 100 pounds, maybe 110, so for the workout plan I started out doing sets of 55, 12 times. Luckily, my legs were real strong, so I could squat away the embarrassment of my weak upper body. Back then it didn’t take too long at all to get stronger, but the first time I got sore I couldn’t lift my arms to wash my hair for at least three days and a tiny poke in the chest felt like being stabbed with a hot knife. I loved every second of it.

It was that love that led me to lie about my age for the first time. While other kids my age were lying for much better reasons, like buying cigarettes or alcohol, I was lying to get a gym membership. Granted, I did later lie about my age to get alcohol too, someone had to. Now here it is a dozen years later and I have consistently had either a gym membership or free access to a gym. My workouts have changed, my diet has changed, I do more cardio now, and I even do yoga once or twice a week, but fitness in some form is here to stay for sure. Currently, I am in a weight loss contest at work, not because I need to lose weight, but simply because I know what I am doing and feel like I can win.

Here are some resources I really recommend:

Bodybuilding.com

The Abs Diet from Men’s Health

Real Men Do Yoga

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home