Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

1.26.2007

I have language envy

There I said it. I am not one of those people who can easily pick up a second language. I have certainly tried, but they just do not seem to stick. My mom speaks Yiddish, my Grandma spoke at least 4 languages, but I am not even so sure I am good at one. When I was a kid I tried learning Yiddish from them but quickly got bored with it and didn’t have anyone to speak it to. So, then I started taking Spanish classes in elementary school and did that all the way through 10th grade. And I can not use much of that either, although I do understand a little. When I lived in Israel I picked up some Hebrew but certainly not enough, when I would try asking questions in Hebrew most people would just ask if I spoke English, I am that obvious. But I didn’t give up; in college I tried my hand at Italian, did pretty well in the class and still remember a little bit. But, I really want to be fluent in a second language and I am jealous of all the people around me that are.

My team at work is the one of the most diverse groups of people I have ever encountered. There are three Indians, an Iranian, a Bolivian, a Nigerian, a Korean, and I. So, all day I hear these people having conversations in their native languages and I kind of wish I could do the same. Most of them grew up in English speaking countries but there are a few who have not been in the US very long and when they stumble over the English language or not understand some of the terms we use I do not get annoyed by it. I am impressed at how much they have mastered and wondered if I would be able to do as well in another country as they are doing here. I think if I were to live in a foreign country for an extended period of time I would be most frustrated with myself and my own lack of ability, perhaps more than the person on the other end of the conversation. Still, I would really like to try someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home