Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

12.09.2006

Trapped?

Lately, I have encountered a lot of my peers who seem to feel trapped. These peers are all young (between 22 and 30), healthy (no serious illnesses), single (not married, no kids) and educated people (all have college degrees). Yet, so many of them feel trapped in their spot in life right now, whether it is by the job prospects that their degree offers or a wrong post graduate course of study, a wrong town or a wrong career they all have these feelings that they are stuck in a bad situation and can not get out of it. But, that is not the truth of the situation, no the truth is that none of us at this stage in our lives are trapped unless we allow ourselves to be. I bring this up because I have at times felt this way before realizing that what I thought was a trap was really just taking the easy way out, staying the course is safer than taking a bold step toward an uncertain future.

Whenever one of these peers contacts me and says these things to me I tell them all the same things. You are not trapped, you are young, virtually responsibility free and if there was ever a time to take a chance its now before your life gets filled up with mortgages and marriages and kids and divorce and promotions and country club memberships. So, to all my friends who are trapped by their own complacency, move on. Seriously, you may not like what you are doing now but you are scared to death of the unknown, everyone is. And that is fine because there are no guarantees in life. But, one thing I have realized is that at some point you either need to stop complaining or make the changes you are talking about.

Oh yeah, what you are doing now might feel like it’s the only option but the truth is that it is just the safest option. It’s funny; some of us stay the course while dreaming up these unimaginable realities instead of just looking for a practical way to move towards what we really want. So people take a leap, even if it’s a safe one, but if you are unhappy it’s better to do something over nothing. That or come to terms with what you are doing and realize you chose to be there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Asian Mistress said...

That sounds almost like something I would write...except with less complaining and more insight. :)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Leaf said...

Complaining is what I do and I don't have the time for insight. You might not have noticed but I am trapped in this situation and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. Nothing.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home