Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

12.04.2006

Overwhelming joy leads to mass Insanity

It has been a crazy roller coaster these past few days. All day Saturday I did everything I could to keep my mind off the SEC Championship game that was going to be on later that night. I watched all the other games I could and eventually I gave in and set out for the bar. USC-UCLA had already started and we were just waiting for them to take over the game, but as the Gators came out to start their game USC was still struggling. But our game went on the big screen and the sound went off the USC game. So, the Gators became the focus and Percy Harvin, Reggie Nelson and the rest of the crew did their part to make the USC game not matter. That was until they actually lost. At the time it looked like the Gators would run away with the game, prompting Mitch to tell our waitress that he didn’t need anymore drinks because he was going to Glendale. Of course, following that bold statement the Gators gave up 21 points and it looked like we were going to be the second big team to fall and give way to the Michigan – OSU rematch. But, never underestimate Urban Meyer and his gutsy call, a fake punt from your own 14, saved the game. The Gators got it back together and went on to win their first SEC Championship without Steve Spurrier. The joy lasted the rest of the night and into the next day when the reality of another championship game set in.

Just like that, all day Sunday was a repeat of Saturday. When it was over it would be a perfect day, but it was a long one. I played video games, I ran errands, I caught up on a show or two from the week before and at 7:50 pm I began watching the Bowl Show. It only took 20 minutes to confirm the news that had been pouring in all day. It as UF – OSU in the BCS Championship game, thus the madness had begun. Since then arrangements to get to Glendale have been in high gear. Flights have already been purchased, hotels are being booked and every angle to get tickets are being exhausted and then the threshold for what one was willing to pay for tickets to a football game was raised. After all this will only be our third appearance in 100 years, the first in exactly ten years and who knows if the next time it happens we will be able to say we were there. So, when the Gators play the Buckeyes on January 8th I will be there someway, somehow and just for good measure I am gonna make a stop over in Vegas to cap off a great trip.

The beauty pageant that is college football is still the wrong way to decide a champion but it doesn’t make it any less special to win the pageant. The voting is over, now its time to prove we belong on the field. And the fans are all losing their minds, booking flights, hotel rooms and preparing their credit cards for exceptionally expensive football tickets.

It’s Great to be a Florida Gator

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home