Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

12.19.2006

More foolish and wiser at the same time

I recently turned 26, about two weeks ago now, and I have not felt the need to really talk about it until now. You see, I don’t really put much thought into birthdays. I am not big on celebrating them and for the most part they do not feel any different than the day before or after. I usually only notice when I put a new age into the treadmill at the gym or when someone asks me. Sometimes, I even question whether or not we should be celebrating our own birthdays; I mean we didn’t do any of the work that day. Still, I do think they provide a nice milestone and good period of reflection for all of us.

I look back on the last year and two weeks of my life and see a lot to be proud of and some things that maybe I should not even admit to. Apparently, as we grow older we grow both more foolish and wiser at the same time. I am not sure who originally said that but they make a great point. In some aspects of my life I feel like I have gotten better, my insight into certain situations is improving and then in others I may be even dumber than I was years ago. And so here is a list of things I have been up to since December 6, 2005.

- I started a blog. That was pretty big; I am now somewhere over 200 posts in and actually have people who read here regularly.

- I have visited friends in NY on three separate occasions and on each I return to DC and immediately begin looking for jobs there, but that shortly fades and I settle back into my life here.

- My roommates built there first snowman and I got to take pictures with it.

- I have read a bunch of books and some comics too.

- One of my best friends and his lovely wife moved to DC. And since they got here they have dealt with my extreme wanderlust but by now must just shrug off my suggestions at leaving. I think they might be wanderers themselves, but that is another story.

- I have dealt with the passing of my favorite childhood baseball player, Kirby Puckett.

- But, I also got to cheer on the Gator bball team to a Championship and watch the Twins make a great run in the playoffs before watching the Gator football team win the conference and get a shot at the MNC.

- I left my first engagement at work, found a new one, then landed right back on my old one 6 months later.

- I cooked my first Passover Seder all by myself and it was pretty good.

- I have driven to Florida, New York and Tennessee. In three different cars, my old Blazer before it dropped the transmission, my new Accord that replaced the Blazer and my buddies TL just last weekend.

- My sister graduated from Florida State University and just 7 months later we finally convinced her to move away from there.

- I have been to baseball games at Camden Yards, RFK and the Metro Dome. Football games at FedEx Field, Neyland Stadium and Doak Campbell stadium.

- My buddy Scott graduated from law school and he now has a real job in a corporate law firm, while my friend John continues to come up with crazy schemes instead of trying to enter the real world. I wonder who has it right; him or us?

- I moved from a townhouse in Vienna to a house in Falls Church and in the process met some great roommates. Who says everyone you meet on Craigslist is a little weird?

- I was consumed by the war in Israel for weeks in the middle of the summer. Actually, I am still very consumed by Israel but I have been for a long time.

- I joined a great list serve for Music Lovers and have been to a bunch of shows: OAR, Virgin Fest, Lionize, EBP and Shane Hines

- I went to a haunted forest and was slightly haunted by an ex-girlfriend

- I hit a tree leaving a campsite.

- I spent Thanksgiving in Florida with my mom and a close friend.

- I have also played tons of video games and watched more television than I care to count

But, the most significant event that happened in my life was the loss of my Grandma. The loss of a loved one can really put things in perspective sometimes. I am ok with her death but at the same time I feel like it has motivated me a little and changed me also. I can not explain it because I find it hard to pinpoint exactly what it is that is different now, but something certainly is. Ever since August it has been there, I went through a period of sadness, but I think I have come to place of peace. I look back on both my grandparents lives with great pride and realize how easy my life is in comparison. Maybe someday I will feel worthy enough to tell their story and write the story of my life right next to it. But until then, I am gonna try being 26 and not acting like the weight of the world is on my shoulders.

2 Comments:

Blogger Namaste said...

You're wonderful. Congrats on the Passover Seder! That's really great. Thanks for reading, and keep writing, too!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Leaf said...

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate it.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home