Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

11.20.2006

Workation

I am in Florida for the week sort of on vacation and sort of working. It is sort of a tradition of mine, instead of taking a ton of time off work around Thanksgiving or coming home for a short stay on an overpriced flight I just stay for a long time on a reasonably priced flight and do some work while I am here. Speaking of my flight, it could not have been better; I am either a genius or the biggest sucker in America because every time United offers me to upgrade my seat for $34 I do it. But every time I end up in the 3rd row without anyone next to me and extra leg room. To me that might be worth a lot more than $34.

My friend Christine picked me up after the flight since I will be staying at here place while I am here. Sure, she turned my room into an exercise den but I can deal with it I think. And her dog barely woke me up this morning. But, the best thing about coming back to the place where you grew up is getting to see all the places of your youth. And I am staying right in the heart of it. Across the street from me is Central Park where I used to play baseball as a kid. But with every good memory is a bad one and every time I drive down the street I have to pass the spot where Bobby Jacomino died in a car crash that probably should have taken my life too. I went to the movies with Nicole at Sawgrass, where my best friends and I spent the better part of our 8th and 9th grade years. But the memory of that place seems so hollow knowing that they are spending their Thanksgiving holiday in Detroit, Bethesda and Brooklyn respectively.

It is hard to even call this place home anymore. I wonder if I ever could, because it was never the place that it was about, always the people. And most of them have moved on just like I have. Being here feels so familiar and so foreign, even some of the streets have literally changed. I know its not like this for everyone, there are plenty of people that I knew growing up here that are coming home for Thanksgiving and they cant wait to see all the people that they miss, they cant wait to go to Riverfront and bump into countless people from high school and college. But not me, I don’t want any of that, as a matter of fact, I can hardly remember many of their names. This trip down I will see a handful of people that I still talk to that live here. No offense meant to them but I think its time they start visiting me because I just don’t see myself coming down here much more. My best friends aren’t here, my sisters aren’t either, my mom still is but she is living in my Grandparents place until they sell it, so she might be gone soon too. I will be back in February and March but it will be different. So yeah, coming home is weird and filled with mixed emotions. A lot of good memories, but a lot of ones I’d rather forget as well. This will be my last long visit here, I just wonder when it got so hard?

2 Comments:

Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving...and I hope you see lots of hot girls in sweaters. :)

11:18 AM  
Blogger Leaf said...

In Florida sweaters come out in the 70s, there will definitely be sweaters everywhere.

Have a happy Thanksgiving too.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home