Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

11.07.2006

Where is the love for the domestic peace keepers?

It is Election Day all over the country so I figured I would post something about our civil servants. But this wasn’t really prompted by that, it was prompted by a message board post that I read. I read a lot of message boards, mostly sports related, specifically Gator boards. And on these boards occasionally there will be a very nice post from a member of the armed services. Sometimes they are serving in Iraq or Afghanistan or just somewhere at home but they are always met with a flurry of thanks and well wishing. These threads can go on for pages and pages of people who don’t know this person thanking them for all they do and sending prayers there way (even though this is scientifically impossible) and all these other great things. Now, I don’t want to take away from the military and say they don’t deserve the accolades, the well wishing or the thanks they receive. I just think that the Police and Firefighters deserve it more. Yes, that’s right, I said more. It is just that it has been 60 years since the US military establishment has been directly fighting to protect America. I am not necessarily against the situation in Iraq, I am not really for it either, but mostly I don’t see how it is protecting Americans everyday. So, who are the people that are protecting us everyday? The local Police Officers, the firefighters, the FBI, and all the other American agencies that are tasked with keeping us safe everyday here at home, that’s who. Again, I do not want to take away from what those who serve in the military are doing, I do have a great deal of respect for our service people, but at the same time I don’t think people give enough credit to some very highly trained people who put their lives on the line for complete strangers in their own neighborhoods. We have people driving squad cars around our cities and towns late at night doing their best to protect us while we sleep right here at home. Those soldiers who are half a world away may be protecting us from some future danger, but our Police Officers and others will protect us from immediate danger here at home and they deserve a little more love and maybe a care package.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home