Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

11.21.2006

The Place to be

After graduating from high school and everyone had gone there way it was a given that every Thanksgiving you would see everyone again. For us in Florida there was always a place to go that you just knew would be packed with old friends that you had not seen in a while. When I was in college it was always Riverfront, now I think it is Hard Rock. But still, it is a given that the night after Thanksgiving you can find anyone that you want to bump into outside some club at one of these places. I have since learned my lesson that going is a bad idea and I have not been in years. The reason why is that in the 5 or 6 months from graduation to my first Thanksgiving in college I had literally forgotten peoples names. I had also apparently forgot what they looked like too as I introduced myself to a girl I had known since about 7th grade. Over the years it has become more than just not remembering people, it is also that I just don’t want to see people as bad as I used to. I still keep in touch with all the people I care to see. But for a few years there going to Riverfront was a blast, even if I did not remember who people were.

I wonder if it is like this for young people everywhere. Do the kids from Long Island or Alexandria have a Thanksgiving hangout? Is there a spot that you just have to be if you want to be seen when you come home for a visit? I always think about that and it reminds me of another thing that happened in high school. I was dating a girl that I had met in Israel; she didn’t live in Florida but would come visit. And on her visits I rarely went to class, we usually would go to the beach or something. On one visit we were walking up to the beach on a random Friday and there were maybe 50 kids from my senior class just hanging out. She commented on how cool that was, but it was never something I ever thought about. There were a lot of things like that down here, you could often lose track and stop taking advantage of it. But, having places like the beach where you knew people would always be was comforting and since it was not apparently like that for everyone it makes feel pretty lucky to have had those places at that time. Even with the normal ups and downs of being a teenager, growing up here was pretty good. We never seemed to run out of things to do and I guess I don’t give this place as much credit as it deserves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home