Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

11.08.2006

My Professors would be so upset

It is probably no secret that I did not vote yesterday. It is also clear to many that I am not even registered to vote. I don’t really follow politics very much and as such I am not very qualified to speak about it anymore. For the most part in recent years I came to one conclusion; IT JUST DOESN’T MATTER. So, you can see why my professors must be so ashamed of me right now. I was a good student, an attentive student and I really like Political Science, got my degree in it actually. At one time I loved it, wanted to be a politician, a lawyer and all that. But then something happened, I moved here, I got close enough to feel the fire and I watched scandal and corruption and read about it until my eyes bled. I fought over issues on message boards, I cared, until I didn’t. The issues no longer matter to me, I don’t really care about the elections or the amendments. Because at some point I stopped seeing any differences, they are all the same and no matter whom you elect it seems that nothing will change. It is all bullshit and none of it matters.

Yet, somehow last night I was watching Decision 2006. I may not care enough to vote but I was definitely intrigued to see who won. Kind of like the World Series, I wasn’t voting for either of those two teams but I still wanted to see the outcome. That’s what politics has become to me, a spectator sport. I no longer want to participate or invest myself in one team, because at the end of the day they are all really the same and they have nothing in common with me. The outcome of the World Series and the outcome of the Midterm elections have about the same impact on my everyday life. And that is to say none at all. Although, I really want George Allen to lose to Jim Webb, not because I like Jim Webb or anything, but because George Allen is an ass, for all I know Jim Webb is worse. And for me that’s what it boils down to, I dislike a lot of politicians but I don’t like any of them so I am not voting for them. I hope the ones I like less lose but I am not investing myself in something full of people and institutions I despise. But you better believe I will vote a 100 times on an ESPN poll to prove that Ben Hill Griffin stadium is the best stadium in college football. Priorities people.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this yesterday on this big sign by this one business keeps up for no reason other than their own amusement - "If it really mattered, we wouldn't be allowed to vote in the first place."

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home