Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

11.23.2006

Giving Thanks

It is Thanksgiving and I think it is customary for people to say what they are giving thanks for. And while I am thankful for many things I just can’t think of one to write about or even a list to make. This happens to me every year, when families go around the table and say something they are thankful for I never know what to say and end up saying something totally trivial. Or worse I say something that I find funny but no one else gets, that happens to me a lot actually. But, right now I am sitting alone watching the Dolphins game as my Mom is at home getting ready and my friends are cooking dinner so I am thinking about what I am happy for. And today, despite the fact that my friends and family have created the perfect storm (they all have dogs and take me to strip clubs and smoking lounges) to induce an asthma attack I realized of all things I am most thankful for modern medicine. I know that seems like a cold answer when most people will say they are thankful for their families and friends and all that. So just hear me out, modern medicine has saved my life, made it possible. Who knows how long I would have lived if I was born 50 years ago, who knows what my life would have been like at all. Despite having asthma since I was about 2 years old I haven’t missed out on anything in my life because of it. There have been many scares including spending too many days in children’s ICU a dozen or so years ago, but none of that stopped me from being like any other kid. Sure I carried an inhaler and took allergy medicine, I always had to be careful when others were carefree but I still did it all. And without the medicines and the great doctors that I have seen throughout my life I don’t think I would have been able to be an average American kid.

An average American kid is all I could have ever hoped to be and for that the person I am most thankful for is my Mom. Without her pushing me to not let my illness hold me back maybe those medicines would not have mattered. Without her to make sure I always had an inhaler with me when I went to play football or baseball or ride bikes I might not have made it home one of those days. Without her taking the time and money to make sure I saw the right doctors and that I got my prescriptions filled my life would have been limited so much more. Without her paying for my Advair when I didn’t have insurance I would have had to stop taking the medicine that finally has controlled my asthma to the point where it is an afterthought. I still take medicine everyday but now it is just a small part of my life and thanks to my Mom I am here today and I never forget to take to my medicine. I guess that makes me just as cheesy as everyone else today.

1 Comments:

Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Damn, you make me wanna take my Advair...

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home