Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

11.17.2006

Friday's are made for

Posts with no cohesive direction at all.

Where to start? I guess I can just dive right in, every once in a while I like to write these posts that cover a lot of topics and I think this will be one of those. In no particular order of importance here we go.

- I really feel for Percy Harvin, every weekend we see him put on an incredible show of speed and athleticism. But, so often he limps off the field clearly in pain only to get back out there a few plays later and do it all over again. I was at the game against Tennessee when he sprained his ankle and I know he won’t heal completely until the season is over. How do I know this? Well, I sprained my ankle a few weeks later thanks to Tim Tebow and his touchdown in the first half of the Auburn game. Now, I rested mine for two weeks completely, while Percy was still practicing and preparing for football games, and still it was not completely healed. After two weeks I felt better and began working out again which has led to recurring pain in the ankle. So I can only imagine how much pain Percy is in while playing a much more physically demanding sport than my attempts at staying in Warrior III.

- Thursday night TV is the one I look forward to all week. Yes, I love Heroes on Monday and Friday Night Lights on Tuesday. But on Thursday I am actually compelled to watch the shows live instead of waiting for the DVR to record them. But, Thursday is getting a little crowded, I have Smallville at 8 followed by OC and Grey’s at 9 with Scrubs soon returning in the 9 o’clock hour also. So far I have let my DVR decide which I should watch live and which I will watch later. It has been the OC and it has been fantastic. I got hooked on this show when my buddy and former roommate gave me the first 2 seasons on DVD, I finished those in about a week. And after what I thought was a really bad third season I am really digging this new one. Smallville is also really good this season, did anyone catch the Martian Manhunter, damn that was so cool, I was excited by all its nerdy goodness.

- Speaking of DVRs there are two things I wish they could do. One is, I wish there was a way to schedule recordings from your computer or your cell phone. There have been so many times when I realize I want to go to Happy Hour or do something after work but also see something on TV that I’d like to record. Then I have to choose between them but if I could schedule my recordings remotely I could do both. Secondly, I wish there was a fast forward button that automatically skipped commercials. I remember a while ago I had a VCR with this function, it didn’t always work that well but at least they tried. I figure if a VCR can do it these silly hard drives should be able to.

- And lastly, I am going home tomorrow night. As I have been doing since I left Florida a few years ago I will spend about 9 days in my home state. I am looking forward to seeing my mom of course and eating at LaSpadas and CharHut and staying at Christine’s because she has high speed internet while my mom still uses dial up. I can’t wait until Friday when I will get to see my baby sister and take advantage of her job to get lots of drinks. I’ll probably just give her a big tip right off the bat and tell her to keep em coming. But, right now I am also not looking forward to a few things, packing and laundry at the bottom of the list. Mostly, I am a little sad that for the first time I won’t be able to go over to my Grandma’s house and give her a hug, she won’t be there to have lunch with at Deli Den, where she always ordered a tongue sandwich and cut the skin off her pickles. On my previous trips over the past few years I would go see her everyday I was in town. She would make me turkey sandwiches and tell me stories or we would go to Deli Den and an occasional dinner at her brother’s. I have a feeling it is something I will always miss when I go there and there is just no getting around it. So, I will just have to enjoy the good stuff that much more.

- OK, one more thing. My sister and best friend both went to FSU, I went to Florida so I understand what it's like to live under the same roof with the enemy. But I would never, ever do this to my house. It is hideous, I don't think I would paint a house in either of these color schemes alone but together they make me want to vomit.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! But why the orange and blue??? We may suck this year but we shall see how bad you guys suck come the 25th :)

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooops! By Christine

5:22 PM  
Blogger Leaf said...

We will see. Even after we beat you at least you can keep us out of the championship game by being so bad this year.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Percy Harvin is an awesome player. I am sure that he is playing through pain and that it is his choice because of his love of the game. His best friend, Damon McDaniels plays for FSU. Damon is almost at the level of Percy but has not had much playing time this year. Still it will be great to see them play one another on the 25th.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Leaf said...

anon,
absolutely cannot wait to see that game. I live in VA now so I hear plenty about Percy and Damon and how dominant they were. I haven't really followed Damon this year but I was really excited for him when I thought he was a Gator, hopefully the old teammates will have a great game next weekend.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home