Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

10.03.2006

The weekend and Yom Kippur

I wrote a rant that I decided not to post here. It was about work and it was extremely negative and angry. It is probably not best to air my grievances here but I will just say I am unhappy with certain decisions and people at work. The rest of the weekend was not so bad.

Once I finally got to the gameday bbq I had a great time. The food was delicious, the company entertaining and the game went the way of the good guys. My BBQ sauce was a hit and went very well with Courttew’s hamburgers (also known as meat flavored clouds). After eating 2 of everything they had to offer and drinking plenty of beer we went out to Murphy’s in Old Town Alexandria for a few more drinks. But, given the long day we didn’t stay very long. Sunday I tried to get into a normal weekend mode and went to the gym. I also ate a lot and helped my roommate go car shopping. The rest of the day I relaxed and settled into the Yom Kippur fast around 6:30.

Fasting was easy again. I may be in the minority here but I don’t find it all that difficult and given that I normally eat six times a day that is probably a bit unlikely. Still, since I have started fasting once a year it gets progressively easier and I always feel good about doing it. Some people might find that strange and not understand why I do it at all, especially given my stance against synagogue on High Holidays. I don’t really know how to label myself, most of my friends would call me religious because I light candles on Shabbat and occasionally attend services and Fast on Yom Kippur. But, if you compare me to someone who is religious I don’t think I come close. I live in an odd grey area in between being religious and secular where I believe in the traditions but I am not sure whether I do them because I believe or because I want to feel connected to my history. I certainly have my doubts with it all and yet I feel compelled to follow it anyway. Not out of fear but out of love. Following the traditions of my grandparents and reliving the events that brought my family together so many times feels right to me. I don’t know if I am religious or not but I fondly remember Shabbat meals at my grandparents or friends houses and hope someday to have that with my own family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home