Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

10.17.2006

The Unexpected

One thing that I really enjoy is being caught off guard, I like surprises. Perhaps that is because I am still a kid who is just not ready to grow up. But, really all the things I love and I am intrigued by are those where the outcome is unexpected. My favorite TV shows, all sports, the books I read and the people I surround myself with. I also think a lot of people are this way and why so many people never get to a serious point in relationships. I know this is my status quo, once the surprises are over its hard to maintain what you had. I have had this problem with lots of areas of my life such as jobs, schools, friendships and girlfriends. I used to call this the two month rule because after about 2 months I felt I had learned all I needed to know and would not be surprised by anything anymore. There are examples of people and places that have beat the 2 month rule, there are those who have been cast aside after 2 months and those who made it for the long haul even though there are no surprises left in them. But it is the places or things or people that surprise me after 2 months that I cherish the most.

Here are some recent surprises I have enjoyed:

One of my roommates who seems like the ultimate good girl, spends her Sundays at church, doesn’t smoke, barely drinks and I don’t think I have heard a bad word ever come out of her mouth got a tattoo over the weekend.

I was surprised to see my friend Kevin, who rarely is able to hang with us, out last weekend and to learn that he was interested in going out with us again next weekend.

I was surprised that only one of my friends has responded positively to being on the guest list for the Wizards Dance Team party when I thought every guy I know would jump at that.

And last night I was surprised by the deep inner thoughts and wanderings of a new friends mind. You never really know what is going on in someone’s head until they let you in.

Sometimes the surprises are small, sometimes they are big but they are always new and always intriguing. But the best ones are the ones that are unexpected. I’d like to think that what you see from me is not what you expect and I like when others are not what I would expect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home