Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

9.22.2006

Next year in Jerusalem

It’s that time of year again. The high holidays, when most reform Jews go to synagogue for the first and last time of the year. Not me, I don’t go on the high holidays, too big of a circus, I do go other times throughout the year instead so I am not so bad. But as we approach another Rosh Hashanah, my third in Washington DC, I feel the need like so many other bloggers, to reflect on this last year and look forward to my next one.

I have had some ups and downs since this time last year, I have changed a lot and not at all. I have met new friends and become better friends with old ones. I have lost some friends too, but that is part of growing up. My requirements for the people I bring into my life have changed dramatically, I am looking deeper into the soul of the people I meet, not just the stuff they show the world but getting to the heart of the person. This includes a reevaluation of many of my friendships and how close or how far away I should keep them.

In this past year I have lost my grandma but gained a baby cousin and began to rekindle a relationship with my middle sister. Throughout this year I watched my baby sister graduate from college and have since been trying to help her figure out her life. I helped my mom cope with the loss of her mother three years after she lost her father. Again at the funeral I did not cry but I do miss them both dearly and I hope that my life this year and in all the ones that follow will honor them as they deserve. I have become closer with my cousins and have made it a point to keep in contact more. Spending time with my extended family this year has shown that although we have our problems loving and caring about each other is not one of them.

My job still sucks and has pretty much all year but the experience may very well lead me to something bigger. That is all anyone can hope anyway, I hope that this year has taught me things about where I want to go in life and where I want to be. DC has treated me well, but ultimately it does not feel like home. This year my group of friends in DC gained Mike and Courtney and EK and DC has been that much better because of them and a little bit harder to leave. This year I found new roommates with an open ended lease; they are nice people but will be much easier to leave than my last roommates. This year I have often thought about Israel and questioned why I am not there and I hope to answer those questions in the year ahead. I have closed the year that was on a whirlwind of excitement filled with trips and sporting events, concerts, dinners and new friends. It has been a good year, one I can look back on favorably now that all is said and done. But I look forward to next year where hopefully I will be able to say this year in Jerusalem for the first time.

1 Comments:

Blogger adieu tristesse said...

שחה טוב

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home