Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

9.10.2006

I am heartless

I am sorry. I don’t know how else to say it but tomorrow is the 5th anniversary of 9/11 and I could not care less.

Just about everyone is writing something about it and I have nothing to say. Even worse I have no desire to read what they are writing. Yes, I remember that day well, I know people who had their lives forever changed when their fathers were lost in the WTC. I remember who told me what had happened as I was walking into class. I remember calling my friends in NY frantically to make sure they were ok and I remember calling my friend in DC whose father works at the Pentagon. I remember the way the town felt that day and I also remember saying that after 6 months no one would care anymore.

I was only half wrong. People do still care after 5 years but in reality very little has changed. All the goodwill is just about gone, the world is not on our side anymore and people in this country no longer are looking out for each other the way they did just following the events of 9/11. So, on the anniversary when we remember what happened and all the good things that came in the aftermath I ask now five years later what has really changed? Not a whole lot if you ask me.

What 9/11 really represents to me is of course a tragedy but it is also a missed opportunity. We as people missed the opportunity to truly be affected by something huge, something that could have made us a better society, a better people and truly be something worth representing to the world. Instead, we are the same bloated society with misplaced ideals and a lack of personal responsibility. We have been foolishly led into conflicts that do not make us safer; we continue to be more concerned with the price of gas and the status of homosexual couples than about caring for the young and the poor or doing something intelligent like securing our borders.

Tomorrow night I will be at FedEx field watching the Washington Redskins and the Minnesota Vikings in the Monday night opener. I will not be thinking much about what happened on this day 5 years ago. Because to me what is sadder than the loss of 3000 American lives is how poorly those people’s memories are being represented.

2 Comments:

Blogger Asian Mistress said...

"What 9/11 really represents to me is of course a tragedy but it is also a missed opportunity. We as people missed the opportunity to truly be affected by something huge, something that could have made us a better society, a better people and truly be something worth representing to the world."

I agree with you there. In fact I agree with you on pretty much all of it.

Instead of bringing people together, it's increased fear and hostility towards one another. People taking advantage of what happened to promote a "war on terror" and politicians continuing to use it as such.

PS - you better leave work at like 3 to make it to FedEx...

11:52 PM  
Blogger Leaf said...

Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks a golden opportunity was missed.

Dont worry about me, I am leaving work sometime after 12 and will be taking the metro. I cant be drinking and driving.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home