Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

9.14.2006

Good Ole Rocky Top...

Fuck you Tennessee.

Rocky top, you’ll always be
Second in the SEC.
Good ole rocky top,
Fuck you Tennessee, Fuck you Tennessee.

I am gonna be out of town again this weekend. September is killing my soul, hurting my wallet and leaving me with fleeting memories and too many pictures. So, where am I going this time? I am heading back into the heart of SEC country to see the Mighty Gators take on the pathetic little Vols in Neyland Stadium. The place seats 105,000 with their creamsicle orange and white checkerboard endzone design. I am very pleased to announce that I have my tickets and will be sitting near that endzone, where I expect to see many Gator touchdowns. In truth I am not really sure what to expect from my team just yet. I have watched the first two games and came away impressed but apprehensive about the performance. I also caught some of the Vols games and I am not sure what to think about them either. In their first game they looked like world beaters, in their second they looked like crap. And then there is of course my dreaded experience at Alabama last year. The fans were great but the game was horrible, if the game turns out bad for the good guys this year I am not sure the Vol fans will be able to redeem their town the way the Bammers did. Plus, I hear Knoxville is just a big pit, a dump, why would anyone want to go there unless their team was playing?

But that is it really, we follow our teams and we live and die with every game. It’s the SEC, its Fall and its football season. I think only someone from down there understands, (Courttew, EK, Lithium, Mikey Marriage, Nicole, you know what I am talking about) the rest don’t get it. They schedule weddings on important games and expect you to work on a Saturday in September; they have no idea about the pageantry and excitement. They have no idea that the fans have game day rituals or uniforms that they wear every week (I wear the same shirt every week until we lose). They didn’t survive the Beam team or learn how to sneak a flask into the stadium in college. They never had to pass back student IDs or double up tickets to get their friends into their block. They don’t know what its like at an SEC tailgate where the grill gets rolled in on a trailer and the whole day is planned out with breakfast, bloody mary’s and a lunch buffet that only a southerner could be proud of. They don’t eat pub subs or make fun of Phat Phil and they just don’t get that there simply isn’t a better place in the world than an SEC stadium on a Saturday in the Fall (although UK and VU are questionable).

I am nervous and excited and I cant wait until 8 pm Saturday night when the Gators and the Vols kickoff and start the SEC season right. My early prediction is that Percy Harvin lives up to the hype and Jarvis Moss has a breakout game. Gators win, Leaf gets drunk.

GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Andrea said...

You guys had/have football, we had hockey.

*le sigh*

Oh the days and how I miss them!

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home