Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

8.24.2006

“It’s not the technology that’s scary. It’s what it does to the relationships between people.”

After what was a very long week in Minnesota I returned to VA feeling just a bit tired. When Monday morning rolled around and I wasn’t feeling 100% I didn’t think too much of it, but by the end of the day I knew I was getting sick. I am still fighting whatever it is I caught today and I may just make it a long weekend in bed with Nyquil until this clears up. I skipped the last two days of work and even managed to lose my computer for the last day and a half. And here is where I get to the weird title of my little story. I have been sick and therefore in bed, usually with my laptop since I am attached to the thing. But sometime Tuesday afternoon an entire cup of water decided the solo cup it was in was not good enough and proceeded to fill up my little laptop with about 12 oz. of water. The computer immediately shut off and I was without a computer until around 10 am this morning. Thankfully, it was a work computer and replaced for free.

And now the quote, it’s from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and I read it this morning while getting ready for work. It got me thinking about how different things must be now than they were just ten years ago. And not just the way I reacted to losing my computer for two days but also the way people knew something was wrong when I didn’t sign onto instant messenger for a week. Despite the fact that I rant about my life on a blog I don’t like to talk about my personal life one on one a lot and so I just kind of left last week without informing a lot of people of why I was going or how long I would be gone. When people realized they had not chatted with me in a few days they didn’t call, they texted. I find this all very funny, because while I enjoy the amount of connections technology has given us; I miss my friends’ voices at times, even if I simulate them when reading what they write. I have friends now that I almost exclusively talk to online and others that almost exclusively text, but very few that I call on a regular basis. I call my mom and my sister, one of my best friends and one buddy to talk about Gator football. Other than that I rarely have phone conversations, but worse than that without a computer I now feel so disconnected from the world, I was lying in bed too sick to do much else and was worried that something might be happening that I was missing. I was watching a movie and obviously couldn’t change the channel to cable news to realize I wasn’t missing anything. It was an odd feeling that went away after a little while and then yesterday I kind of settled into it. I realized that it’s not the technology; it is what it has done to us that I don’t like. I love the technology, but I miss my friends’ voices and I miss the feeling that it’s ok to disconnect. Writing this I remember a time in high school when a couple of friends and I got a hotel on the beach and left everything behind, no phones, no watches, nothing. We had no agenda, no schedules and no need for anything other than what we brought with us. I wonder if I could do that now without having an anxiety attack about not checking my email.

3 Comments:

Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Haha I agree it's very weird...on my vacation I barely had anything (at least I had my cell phone) so I felt quite isolated...no TV, no computer...

God how did I survive? Haha.

Glad you got up and running again! :)

3:21 PM  
Blogger adieu tristesse said...

I like to delude myself… and think it is possible (to leave technology behind), it is just not probable. It pains me to realize that these excessive amounts of the so-called communication are all far from the sort of communication that leave one feeling as though they have really connected. I miss the healthy alone time… perhaps(!) an electromagnetic shockwave could provide for a little holiday, of course, it wouldn’t touch the hospitals or anything of that sort…
Maybe it’s a reliance that can be overcome, not to the extent of discontinuing use of technology, but simply to the point where productivity is boosted rather than hindered.
Feeling better (physically/ emotionally)?

12:52 PM  
Blogger Leaf said...

I am doing alright I guess. Physically I am still sick, emotionally I am my usual 80/20 self. 80% fine, 20% disaster. I think that is a good mix for me, and seems to stay that way on most days.

You know thinking about all this technology and how great it is yet how disconnected it has made us is kind of sad. But, I do think it is something we can get over, on Wednesday when I was truly without a computer for the whole day I was completely ok with it. Although, I really wanted to see a movie and had no idea how to find movie times the old way. I ended up taking a nap, which was probably better for me anyway.

Last thing I have to say about communication technology. It is certainly transforming the world and how we interact both personally and in the business world. To me it is an especially good thing for many people who are now not tied to a certain location for their job. For instance if an emergency arose I could work from another state or even another country for some time.

Now, if only transportation technology could advance at the rate of communications and I could take a 2 hr flight to Vegas instead of 5 that would be a great thing.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home