Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

8.09.2006

In all of the excitement

Or lack thereof this week I never gave props to the bands I saw on Friday. I also, haven’t mentioned that I have resorted to going to concerts with completely strangers. Although it’s much better than going alone, it was still kind of weird. Where to begin? I guess I will start with the complete strangers and how this came to be. Long story short, my friends like music, they really do, but they don’t like just any music and they certainly won’t pay to go see a bunch of locals that they have never heard of. And that’s fine, they don’t have to go see things with me all the time but when you start missing out on things you really want to see just because you cant get any one of your many friends to go you need to do something about it. Now, for two years I put up with this crap until I missed the Chris McCarty Band, a band my friends actually know and like, on a Saturday night no less because no one wanted to go to Maryland. Maryland is not that far people. Anyway, one day while searching through Craig’s List looking for the link to the pick up Flag football league that I occasionally play in I came across an ad for a music group of sorts. Turns out everyone’s friends suck and other people need concert going friends. Joining the group was fine, seeing a concert with a few that my friends were going too, also fine. Making the jump to seeing a show with two girls I’d never spoken to nor met in my life after exchanging three, maybe four, emails was brave if you ask me. Probably braver for them since I don’t think I am the friendliest looking guy in the world. Anyway both girls were cool, one was a total punk eyebrow ring and all, and the other was kind of hard to peg down but seemed nice. I am sure I will see them again at some show down the road.

The show itself was pretty good. The show was a mix of rock and reggae, some really talented musicians and easily one of the ugliest bands in America. The first band to come on were the Echoes and they definitely need a lot of work, it was just 3 guys with a lead singer who looked like a rocker but was out of breath for half the songs and didn’t know he had to keep talking into the mic. The second band, Everyone but Pete, was very impressive, again more rock, this time 4 guys with an awesome sound. The lead singer and the lead guitar were both pretty amazing. The headliner was Lionize, a bunch of white boys, playing some mean reggae. I definitely recommend them, they were awesome. For the encore they brought out the lead singer and guitarist from EBP to help them out on a cover of Could You Be loved and Exodus. It went on for what seemed like 20 minutes and was a great way to end the show. After all that I hopped the metro and headed home got some Taco Bell and called it a night.

Check out the bands at:

The Echoes

EBP

Lionize

2 Comments:

Blogger Asian Mistress said...

That's fun, good for you! I always have that problem too (finding people to go to concerts)...but maybe that's just cause my taste in music sucks. :)

10:21 PM  
Blogger Leaf said...

I am sure your taste in music is just fine. I probably wouldnt like most of it but its all about you anyway.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home