Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

7.21.2006

Comic Book Movies

They are so disappointing, they are so exciting, I can’t wait to see them, and I don’t want to see them made anymore. Ever since Xmen it’s like they pop out one after another and each one seems to get more disappointing. Yet, I am still one of those dumb people that are there opening weekend giving the movie industry more reason to churn out more crap. More than anything I am disappointed in myself because no matter how bad the previous movie was I still hold out hope for the inevitable sequels or the introduction of other comic movies. As someone who follows the news of new movies and other media pretty closely I have to say there is a lot going on that continues this feeling of both excitement and dread.

Today’s news alone reveals a ton about the future of comics on film. Heath Ledger is slated to play the Joker in the sequel to Batman Begins. A director was named for the Incredible Hulk and the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie trailer is online. Not to mention the numerous other happenings in the arena like the Comic con in San Diego that has become a huge event. There are other comic related movies coming out like Ghost Rider starring Nic Cage and Spidey 3 and there are a few that just came out: Superman Returns and X3. In the past years there have also been graphic novels hitting the movie screen such as Road to Perdition, V for Vendetta and Sin City. The graphic novels have faired a little better on quality but not as well in dollar signs. So the rest of the summer and Christmas and next summer will be filled with more, crappy comic book adaptations.

And here is the real problem in all this, I still hope they will be good. When Spiderman was announced I was ecstatic, then the first movie wasn’t that great but I still thought the sequel could be good, and now a third is coming out and even though the first two didn’t excite me I have to admit that the trailers make me want to see the new one. Same thing with Xmen and Xmen United, in my opinion 2 was better than 1 but 3 was worse than both even though I thought it looked like it would be even better. So now I am faced with news that there will be a second Hulk movie and I absolutely hated the first, but still get exciting when I see someone taking a second stab at it, as if this one could improve on the crap from the first. I really need to stop going to see these movies and wait for other people to see them before I give them a shot. I seriously fear what will happen when the sequels to Batman Begins and Superman Returns, movies I really enjoyed, come out but do not live up to the standard the first ones set. Sequels are such a dicey game but franchises with clear goals could be great. So why are they so often terrible?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home