Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

6.19.2006

Feast or Famine

I first heard this term in regards to relationships when I was in 10th or 11th grade. The person bringing this up was my TV teacher (yes I took TV in High School and its harder than you think). Sure it was inappropriate but who cares its one of those things I have remembered for years, even after I forgot how to white balance a camera or set up a tripod. Anyway, the point of the story is that things in life are sometimes just that, either feast or famine. Rarely do we ever live in that perfect balance where things are just right. Whether it is work or family, school or play and even relationships it really does seem that we are either in feast or famine. When it comes to relationships this is mostly true post-education, during college and especially high school you were in perpetual feast, how could you not be? But, now in the real world things just have a way of going through peaks and valleys.

Currently my activity level is clearly in feast mode, I am busier than I can remember in a long time but in the relationship department total famine, I am surprised I have not given up yet. Most people will admit DC has just above the worst dating scene in the country (I agree) on top of that add my impossible standards and my 2% clause*, simply put trying to meet someone in DC is going to kill me. It is kind of frustrating and while this is not where I intended to go with this entry I couldn’t help it, I go out a lot, have a solid group of friends and just about everything in place to meet someone yet I never do. Certainly some of the blame for that falls on me but there also needs to be something to work with and here there just isn’t. My married buddy Mike jokes that I need to go find a girl and move back here, after all that is what he did and it's working out for him just fine. I like DC, I like my job, I have great friends now I just need to get that other part of my life in order, which is partially why I am busier than ever.

Since I returned from Florida on the 11th I have been nonstop between working and moving and it hasn’t died down yet. I spent every night after work last week either packing, cleaning or actually moving things. By Friday night I was so dead that I could barely move let alone go out, so I stayed in in anticipation of long Saturday and Sunday of packing and moving. The move went so well Saturday with the help of just married friend Mike that all the major items were moved and the truck was returned by 10 am. I spent the rest of the day setting up and organizing and shopping for little things that I still needed. That night I met up with some friends for dinner and a few drinks and probably would have gone out had I not been so tired. Sunday was more of the same, moving, and unpacking and shopping for things I apparently didn’t realize I would need. Last night I crashed early and you would think after all that I would just want to sleep all week but no such luck here, there is a feast of activity this week which includes: Happy Hour tonight at Rio Grande Ballston for a co-worker who left my project, Happy Hour and the Heat Game tomorrow night in Dupont Circle, Wednesday night massage (I need one bad), Thursday night another work Happy Hour. How long can these feasts and famines last?

* The 2% clause is a little known rule developed over years of studying and a lot of Grandma given guilt that I will only date Jewish girls. I love my Grandma a ton but she is not the only reason I follow this rule, there are the case studies of two relatives that married converts only to end up in divorce, one of which in a battle over their kids religious upbringing, and my own experiences with shiksas that has helped me come to realize that while it may not be perfect I would prefer meeting another Jew simply because its one less thing to worry about. Not that I wouldn’t break this rule in the right situation but I find it’s good to have ideals.

1 Comments:

Blogger A Better Life said...

Would you consider the crusifiction of Jesus Christ and the Old Testament prophesies about The Messiah?

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home