Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

5.11.2006

This is the time for Baseball

Yesterday, sandwiched between two dark, rainy and cold days, was beautiful in the DC area. When its like that on a Wednesday and I am stuck inside I usually hate it, but yesterday it got me excited. Excited, not for the heat and humidity of the DC summer, certainly not for the beach since I hardly ever get there anymore, but for baseball. With two teams within 45 minutes of my front door this summer will be about two things, baseball and barbecues. I already have plans to see the Yankees vs. the Orioles at Camden Yards next month and I am looking into tickets for games at RFK to see the Nationals play. I know there aren't many people who love baseball or follow the sport but everyone can enjoy a day at the ballpark, its one of the most identifiable events in American life. I still remember all my first sporting moments, a Minnesota Twins game with my uncle in the late 80s, a Dolphins pre-season game with my cousins around the same time, the Miami Hurricanes playing basketball at the Miami arena in my teens and of course I remember the first time I was in the Swamp and the ODome, the first in High School and second as a freshman in college.

Since those humble beginnings there have been many more games and lots of memories, some of the more recent ones are a little fuzzy from the tailgates. But I do remember a lot, I have been to football games in Miami (the Orange Bowl and Joe Robbie), the Swamp, the Citrus Bowl, Death Valley, Bryant-Denny, the World's Largest Cocktail Party, and to a Redskins game at FedEx Field. I have been to baseball games in Minnesota, Miami, Tampa, Baltimore and New York. I have seen the Wizards, Heat and Magic play basketball and even sat on the field for a World Cup qualifying match. For me it really doesn't get much better than watching sports live with friends and beer and hot dogs.

So, this summer I will leave work a couple hours early once in a while to catch a game, or wake up early on a Sunday morning to eat breakfast in a parking lot. All in the pursuit of memories that unite my past and my present, memories that aren't tarnished by outside influences, politics and hate. For a few hours every once in a while we get to escape and live truly enjoyable moments watching men play with sticks and balls. And nothing Barry Bonds could ever do will ruin that for me, no congressional hearings or suspensions or anything will tarnish baseball for me. Because no matter who holds the records at the end of the day, Babe Ruth is still baseball and baseball is still America's Pastime.

Here is an article from Bill Plaschke of the LA Times discussing Bonds breaking Ruths record.

If that doesn't work you can also read it from Jpost.

Now if you live anywhere near a baseball stadium get there, no matter what is going on in the world a $10 hot dog and beer combo will make everything seem ok for at least a little while. Get a Super Pretzel too, while you are at it, or maybe some peanuts and cracker jacks, or cotton candy. Wow, maybe its not the game so much as the food I love? No, I love baseball for itself, I like the State Fair for the food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home