Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

5.17.2006

Fireworks in Tel Aviv

Last night French Company Groupe F launched the largest Fireworks show in Israeli history and possibly one of the biggest ever. Approximately 250,000 people gathered in Tel Aviv for the beautiful light show that lasted your standard firework display time of about 20 minutes. I read a couple of different reports on the event, two newspapers and one blog. When reading about these accounts it kind of reminded me of the fireworks displays here in the US. After being on the lawn by the Washington Monument for last years 4th of July celebration I could really relate to the crowds and traffic and overall hysteria that a large Fireworks display can cause. Reading one persons account of the night I could really feel the whole thing in my mind as if it were a parallel to the DC show. We took the metro into Downtown DC then walked a couple of blocks to get to the Mall, had to wait in long lines just to get on, eventually sneaking over through one of the museums before looking for a spot to claim as our own. There were refreshments stands and people all over the place. The show of course was really cool and then at the end there was the standard mass exodus with crowds of people walking all over the city and cars in bumper to bumper traffic.

So, obviously I have the experience of going to probably the USA’s largest fireworks display but it seems less exciting to me than the one that I did not get to experience first hand in Tel Aviv. And this is probably very American of me but everything in Israel seems to have more meaning. Even though it’s a pretty regular event here, I have gone to fireworks shows since I was little, yet I read about one in Tel Aviv and I am nostalgic as hell for it. Maybe it’s the falafel, I’m not really sure exactly, but I know that I am drawn to that place, obsessed with it even. So here I am stuck between two worlds, the one that has my family and every thing I have ever known and the place that has consumed me ever since the day I left. I think I am cursed to always be torn, because if I do finally answer the call of Israel then I ultimately leave behind a family that I know I will miss dearly. And for someone who is used to giving advice I could really use some thoughts on the subject. Because being torn in two is not fun and I really don’t know if I will ever feel whole.

It has to be obvious that I have a problem when a post about fireworks turns into a serious question about making aliyah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home