Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

5.22.2006

Brothers to the Bone

Have you ever had one of those relationships that never seem to change? The ones that survive all the crap that life throws at you and no matter what happens everything feels right in that friendship. I have one of those friendships between myself and my three closest friends. With them I have gotten to the point where just calling them your best friends is not even close to what they really are. They are my brothers, they are family and that is so much more than the word friend can ever hold. This weekend as all four us got together for the first time in a while to celebrate Scott’s Law School graduation it was apparent that no matter what changed in our lives the times we spend together will always have the exact same feel as it was when we first met. Friendships like these are a rare thing, most people are fortunate to have one such close friend; to have three is a blessing. It is sort of a miracle given that the four of us seem like polar opposites with so many differing interests.

My friends are an odd bunch to say the least but we work so well together and have so much history that I can only see the stories growing and the relationship getting stronger. Scott and I actually met in 4th grade, not that we became friends right away but I can say that I have known him since we were 9 yrs old. John became friends with Scott and I in 6th grade and I still don’t remember how it happened but by the end of that year we were all pretty much inseparable. Then in 7th grade we boged David away from his group and the rest is history. We spent the rest of middle and high school trying our best to cause as much trouble as we could without getting into any. And we were mostly successful, we all graduated and only served a little jail time between us, and while other friends have come and gone no others have really stuck the way we have. After high school Scott and I went to UF, David to UCF and John to NYU. It would seem that our friendships would fade and our college friends would replace the bonds we had formed, but it just never happened. Scott and I went our separate ways even on the same campus but no one ever compared to him, we formed our own networks and enjoyed college differently but we always came back to that old friendship because it always felt the same. John and David changed a lot, but we never lost our connection, Scott and I would drive down the turnpike for just about any major event that David was involved in at UCF whether it was his fraternity initiation or just a big party, we were there. And visiting John became a twice yearly excuse to party in NYC. Somehow, three of us ended up in DC, meaning I have only lived more than 20 miles away from Scott for about a year since I met him, and we know that is a coincidence that wont extend itself to John who fell in love with NY but at least he will only be a few hours and a couple of tolls away so that we can have those moments that seem to be locked in a time capsule more often.

So here’s to my brothers and all the friendships that are stronger than distance, time and change.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jack's Shack said...

Hold on tight to those friendships- they are hard to come by.

1:22 AM  
Blogger Leaf said...

JS,

Thanks I don't plan to give up on any of them too easily.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Just cause I don't have a penis does that mean our friendship isn't valuable????


-Christine

8:16 PM  
Blogger Leaf said...

No, the penis has nothing to do with it. Its because you dont have a blog that our friendship isnt valuable.

Kidding as always. You are very valuable as a friend, just in a different way. Now go start a blog.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home