Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

4.13.2006

Pesach

While my family gathered for Passover Seder in South Florida I was taking on the task of hosting my first Seder alone. I was close to being overwhelmed by it at times and when all the food was finally ready I was completely beat. If not for the experience of last year when my roommate and I made Seder dinner together I would not have been able to do it. So here is what I made:

Brisket (My Aunt’s recipe)

Baked Chicken

Tzimmus

Charoset

Noodle Kugel

Apple Matzo Kugel

Matzo Ball Soup

To do all that I actually had to start cooking on Tuesday night, which is asking a lot of me since I only started cooking a few years ago. But, it all came out pretty well and I think everyone enjoyed it. They all say they did and since most of the food is gone I guess I can believe them. Actually, we filled up on the meal and left no room for the great desserts that were brought by Courtney and Shannon. For two shiksas they did an amazing job cooking with Kosher for Passover products even if there recipes came from the Food Network.

My Seder may have been the only one in America where the Jews were outnumbered by non-Jews two to one. So, in fairness to them we did the cliff notes version of the Passover Story, well that and everyone watched the new Ten Commandments on ABC and did some online research about the holiday. I really appreciate them taking such an interest in my religion, something I can’t say I do for them, and in the spirit of Passover I tried to answer all of their questions. In between the questions we said the blessings and drank a lot of wine before finally eating the great meal I prepared. After eating we continued drinking and eating dessert and I even got people to search for the Afikomen, which led to a near fight in the kitchen that included biting. During the search I watched my Christian friends go through all the cabinets in the house like I used to do when I was in elementary school, it was very entertaining and they enjoyed it so much they have vowed to paint and hide Easter eggs this weekend. And in the spirit of friendship that goes beyond anyone’s personal faith I will be eating my first Easter meal this weekend, a meal normally marked by ham (which I don’t eat) that will instead feature a turkey and will have non-Chametz items for me. I am really looking forward to it, mostly because it’s a meal I wont have to cook.

Chag Sameach (Happy Holidays)

1 Comments:

Anonymous annabel lee said...

Sounds like a great success! Glad it went so well. Your menu is making me hungry...all I have for lunch at work today is PB&J on matzah.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home