Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

3.02.2006

Kick the can

Since Sunday not many things have changed. My weekdays, as mentioned in an earlier post, are not very exciting. But there are always things happening that I can talk about. Monday I went back to work and of course immediately began getting bothered by people to do tasks for them, now they were my normal tasks anyway but I have a Monday routine that I like to do to work my way into the week. No need to bother me so early in the week, I always get my work done. On Tuesday I finished some things for work and basically just waited out the day until Scrubs came on. In that time I rediscovered MVP baseball for XBOX and got to discussing getting fucked over by work with my roommate. As consultants we have a very unstable work environment, we are expected to work a certain percentage of hours that are billable to a client, because of this even though we have constant paychecks we have to deal with uncertainty from contract to contract. We are also told to actively search for new engagements as our current ones are ending, sometimes this leads to situations where we inquire about a project to only find another one that would fit our lives better. In the case of my roommate he found a project that required traveling 100% for a year+, this project never committed to him, just continued asking him to hold on for weeks, without the quarantee he continued looking for a project, after all his performance is on the line if something falls through. So, he finds something better but is told by our bosses that he must take the other project. Then after all of that the project changes its mind about paying for him to travel for a year, so now he missed out on a better project and has nothing coming up.

My roommates situation brings me to my own, I am rolling off of my project on March 31st, and I currently have nothing lined up. I have began my roll-off procedures for my current project but I keep kicking the can down the road when it comes to finding something new. I know its in my best interest to find a new project and not hurt my target hours but I just can't seem to take this project search seriously. Making this even more frustrating is I have to find a new place to live and my decision will be greatly affected by the location of the project I get. So why am I putting this all off? I have no idea really, but I think I have made up my mind that my backup plan is becoming more likely and I have no problem with that.

The current backup is to put all of my things in storage, head on down to Florida and hang out until something comes up. That could mean possibly staying there for a while once on a project or moving somewhere else as soon as a project is found. Then again that could mean I stay in Florida until I find a new job, which is also a possibility. Given how pale I am I could really use a short stay in warm weather.

On a lighter note, I watched The Aristocrats last night. It was a pretty funny documentary about one very dirty joke. And now I am looking forward to this weekend when I will go see Dave Chapelle's Block Party. Take care all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home