Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

3.16.2006

Ft. Jackson

I guess it can’t hurt to describe what I am doing here in Columbia over these two weeks instead of just mentioning that I am here. This happens to be my last trip of many to Army bases all over the states where I have provided training on a learning management system that the US Army will eventually use to train and track the education of all of their soldiers. The list of bases includes: Ft. Eustis (Newport News, VA) Ft. Monroe (Hampton, VA), Ft. Leonard Wood (St. Robert, MO), Ft. Gordon (Augusta, GA), Ft. Sam Houston (San Antonio, TX), Ft. Bliss (El Paso, TX), Ft. Benning (Columbus, GA), Ft. Huachuca (Sierra Vista, AZ) and now Ft. Jackson (Columbia, SC). During some of these trips I have also been to other towns, like St. Louis where we got to go drinking and gambling on the river boats, Austin, TX where we stayed on 4th street and got to heckle Kentucky and Michigan State fans before there game last March and I also got to cross the border in Juarez, Mexico which is a total slum town, you get offered prostitutes and drugs within feet of coming off the bridge, a pimp actually walked with the group of guys I was with for about a mile eventually offering up his women for $5 American.

The whole experience over the year I have been consulting the Army has been pretty good for me, as a civilian there is some backlash towards the private sector but most of that is passed over me since I look like I used to be in boots. Most of the soldiers I encounter just assume I was a soldier and so treat me as if I were one, when they finally discover that I have never served in the military I get one of two responses: They are either shocked and let it go or start recruiting me. The recruitments aren’t too bad and I have had some good times with some of these guys, so I will forgive for being overzealous about their chosen profession. When I get home next week I am sure I will be upset that this experience is over but I am also excited for my next engagement whatever it may be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home