Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

2.23.2006

My Routine has become my prison

I keep telling myself that I should be writing more, I have a lot to say I tell myself. But everyday I seem to find other things to do, none of it important at all. Here is a look at the days since I last wrote:

Sunday – Did not leave the house all day. It was cold out and really had nothing to do so I stayed inside and relaxed. My roommates and I watched the Daytona 500, then the NBA All-star game, and finished up the night with Grey’s Anatomy. Grey’s I had to watch by myself since my other male roommates think it’s a girl show and I can not convince them how good it is.

Monday – Back to work, no holiday for me. Its kind of odd that I don’t get the holiday off since my clients do and we basically have nothing to work on. Anyway, I went back to my normal workday routine: Wake up between 8 and 9, turn on computer, sign in to work’s virtual private network and check morning emails while making breakfast. During breakfast I usually have 2-3 cups of coffee and read online newspapers. Actually I have a whole list of websites I hit every morning including blogs, sports message boards and other informative sources. After all that fun I usually talk to some coworkers online before having a protein shake and going to the gym, occasionally stop at the grocery store since its on the way home, then eat again and take a shower. After that I have killed a large part of my day and then begin wrapping up anything I need to do for work. After work I usually make something for dinner and try to think of something to do to kill time until I am tired again. That’s it, and it’s like that every single day. Someone put me out of my misery.

Tuesday – Same as Monday, different workout, nothing on TV. Actually on Tuesday I decided to put together a bag of clothes to donate. I need to make another one before I drop my stuff off. Also, I am not really sure who is worthy of my old clothes, any suggestions?

Wednesday – You guessed it more of the same, but I did finish reading the Rule of Four which was a very good book for a first effort. I never really understood how two people could write a book together without leaving telling points of where there was a switch, but these two best friends really pulled it off. I recommend it to just about anyone who likes adventures, or puzzles similar to DaVinci Code.

Thursday – Today, more of the same, only difference today I decided to write about it.

As you can see my routine has really become more of a prison. I feel like a skipping record that can’t break out of its loop. In a town with so many friends I really feel like there should be more going on. Unfortunately, I just don’t have an answer to why there is such a lack of activity. There is no excuse for it, but I still can not find a way to change it here. It is possible that my time in DC has already defined itself and no matter what I try to change that I can not change the nature of the beast I have created for myself here. Something drastic would have to happen to keep me hear at this point, so friends open your homes, I may be homeless for a little while which to me sounds like the greatest idea I have ever had. I am sure I will regret that soon enough but at least it will break me out of my routine, my prison.

2 Comments:

Blogger Minor Fast Days said...

I've been in a prison of my own making too, at times. I always try to do something completely different. Something I'm afraid to do. By putting something completely different into the routine, I have felt that I create new opportunities. I might meet a new person, or get a new inspiration. Anyway, the key to writing is to write everyday no matter what. Don't think, just write, edit later.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Leaf said...

Thanks for the advice. I am currently considering a move to a new area, that would be a huge change that would definitely break my cycle. I also realize that even if I do not make a large move I can still make changes to my life here and once I have made the decision to stay or go I will forge out a new path. And I will keep writing, just bought a notebook and I am now keeping it with me at all times.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home