Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

2.09.2006

More from the vault

I have a lot of things to go through but last night I came across something pretty interesting. Unlike the quotes I know exactly why I kept this little piece of paper. When I left Israel my teacher there gave me a list of things to do, movies to watch, books to read, and places to follow Israeli current events. While I have been good at doing some things I have completely neglected others. I will definitely keep this list but in case anyone wants to check out some of the books I am going to get to work on reading, here is the list my teacher gave me along with some of my own:

Self Portrait of a Hero: The Letters of Jonathan Netanyahu
- Yoni was the brother of Benjamin Netanyahu who died during the raid at Entebbe.
The Source by James Michener
- A huge book that I am trying to finish right now, tells the story of the world through an archeological dig.
My Glorious Brothers by Howard Fast
As a Driven Leaf by Milton Steinberg
The Deed by Gerald Frank
The Abandonment of the Jews by David Wyman
Hannah Senesh: Her Life and Diary
Mila 18 by Leon Uris
- I have already read this book, it was great, especially for someone with Polish ancestry.
The Revolt by Menachem Begin
Terror out of Zion by J. Bowyer Bell
Forged in Fury by Michael Elkins
O, Jerusalem by Dominique Lapierre and Larry Collins
Genesis 1948 by Dan Kurzman
The Pledge by Leonard Slater
The Heights of Courage by Avigdor Kahalane
Fear No Evil by Natan Sharansky
Heroes of Israel by Chaim Herzog
Letters to an American Jewish friend: A Zionist Polemic by Hillel Halkin
The Sabbath by Abraham Joshua Heschel

I know thats a lot of reading which is probably why I havent gotten anywhere near finishing it. But here are a few more that I have read and recommend and would go well with these books.

Exodus by Leon Uris
The Hope and The Glory by Herman Wouk
This is My G-d by Herman Wouk

And a couple of more fictional books:
Damascus Gate by Robert Stone
By the Rivers of Babylon by Nelson DeMille


Wow, I have a lot of reading to get to, good thing I am selling my tv.

On a serious note, the books recommended here come from a teacher who once asked me whether I was a Jewish American or an American Jew. The question basically asks who you are at your core, what is the most defining quality of you as a person, the rest are just adjectives that describe you. Back when I was first asked this it was a hard question to answer, but after many years of searching I realize that at the end of the day what defines me most, more than any other of my associations is that I am Jewish. I dont remember many of my teachers but I will remember this one for the rest of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home