Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

2.26.2006

Mikey's Birthday dinner

One of my many former college roommates, who recently graduated from law school, got married and moved to DC turned 27 last week. For his brithday his wife tried to put something together for him, being new to the area she only had limited ideas of places to go for dinner and afterwards. That didn't stop one of our friends from rudely offering up selfish alternatives to her chosen destination. Thankfully, this other friend and his wife decided not to join us.

The plan for the night was simple, get to a restaurant around 8, eat and then head down the street to check out some bars. Easy enough except for the restaurant being packed, we had a two hour wait for our table, had to shove our way to the bar and then we end up getting sat 15 people to a 12 person table right by the kitchen. If this were my family I would have offered the waiter a valium but everyone in our party handled it really well and had a good time. The restaurant, Lauriol Plaza, is known for their frozen swirled Margaritas which looked really good but I can't drink tequila so I will take everyone elses word for it. What I can say is that the food was amazing, I had Pollo en Salsa madeira, which is a breaded chicken cutlet with really sweet salsa on top of mashed potatos. One thing you need to know is that my idea of good mexican food is Taco Bell, the normally higher end stuff I can't stand so I was pleasantly surprised by how good my meal was. Everyone else seemed very satisfied with their meals and eager to continue the night at the bar.

After paying the bill, which was quite an ordeal given the amount of people, we decided to walk up the block to Adam's Morgan. It was cold and windy and since I had lost my favorite beanie my poor shaved head felt like an ice cube by the time we got to the bar we were going to. We passed on a few places before deciding to go into a bar called The Brass Monkey, it is a decent bar but more of a college crowd that was just way to crowded and hot. We had a few drinks, bumped into a few people we knew and then took off for a new destination. On the way out we caught a verse of Thriller which made me want to stay but a few people had already made there way to Maggie Moos for ice cream. Keeping 15 people all together is quite a challenge but we managed pretty well and eventually met up with 10 more people at Meze, one of those dark loungy type places with over priced drinks. This place thinks so highly of itself they have a curtain blocking the view from the door. But inside it was nothing special, the crowd was more age appropriate than Brass Monkey and much better for conversation, plus the Mojitos were really good. The night was very chill and I think Mike really appreciated it, I would have said it was a perfect night if not for Mike's wife begging me not to move. This makes two weeks in a row that I have been pulled aside and told to stay in the area, don't they understand it's not easy to leave but it is something I have to do?

Happy Birthday Mike, I promise to hang out as much as possible before I move.

2 Comments:

Blogger Datingmaster, Jerusalem said...

it seems like your life is complicated-too much drinking, partying and also dating shiksas-can I join in?

5:45 AM  
Blogger Leaf said...

We are always recruiting more people to the party. But I warn you, the shiksas really are a lot of trouble.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home