Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

2.08.2006

Kerouac quotes and more.

I am still packing and going through old things that I have to decide why I have kept for so long and whether or not I need to bring them with me. I just finished going through a bag of things that I have probably had for 8 years. I found 4 quotes that I actually wrote down on paper, must have been before I owned a computer. Two were from Kerouac books although I am not sure which ones, one I read in a book called Alex: Building a Life about an American who died serving in the Israeli Defense Forces and one was by William Blake. Here they are:

"Most merciful G-d, accept these two poor sinners into your arms. And keep the doors ajar for the coming of the rest of us, because you are witnessing the end, the absolute, irrevocable, fantastic end. I've finally realized what is happening. It is our last fling. We are doomed henceforth. Must screw our courage to the sticking point and face up to our impending fate. We shall be all of us shot at dawn..."

I really have no idea why I wrote down this quote but I guess something must have been coming to an end at the time.

Then there was this one:

""Who played this cruel joke, on bloke after bloke, packing like a rat, across the desert flat?" asked Montant Slim, gesturing to him, the buddy of the men, in this lion's den. "Was it G-d got mad, like the Indian cad, who was only a giver, crooked like the river? Gave you a garden, let it all harden, then comes the flood, and the loss of your blood? Pray tell us, good buddy, and don't make it muddy, who played this trick, on Harry and Dick, and why is so mean this Eternal Scene, just what's the point of this whole joint?"

Again, no idea why I wrote that whole thing down and saved it for so long but I can only assume I was intriqued by the way it posed the question of existence. The other two are much more normal than this. The pics at left are covers of my two favorite Kerouac books although I think the quotes above are from Desolation Angels.

William Blake Quote: "If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite."

I know this quote is at the beginning of a book I read but I can't remember which one. It is also the quote that the Doors took their name from.

And finally the Alex quote: "The key is the balance between living each day as if it were the last day of your life and living each as if you were to live forever."

Its not groundbreaking or revolutionary but when you hear that as a 17 year old kid its pretty epic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home