Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

2.08.2006

Generation Meds

In my post college life I have realized a few things that are rather disturbing to me. For the most part we are overworked, underpaid and never satisfied. Many of us are in debt; some people I know weren’t ready for life after college and went on to extended baby sitting in whatever graduate degree it was they sought. One of my old college roommates went to law school for three years, which put him into serious debt, then practiced law for less than 6 months before giving up on it. Half of us don’t get jobs that have anything to do with our college degrees and less than that have the credit or the capital to buy property. So, we work long hours at jobs that are less than satisfying where we are hardly appreciated just so we can pay our ways back to even.

All of this has led to an alarming, at least to me, amount of people turning to anxiety meds. Just about everyday I learn of another young friend turning to pills to solve their problems. Now I am no Tom Cruise, I understand there are certain situations where medicine and mental health professionals are a great deal of help. However, what I don’t understand is how it came to be that we 20 something’s became so stressed out, so unhappy and yet so lazy. When people talk to me about being stressed at work or with life’s many other issues I always recommend other means of relieving stress but most people completely ignore my advice and turn straight to pills. They say they don’t have time to join a gym or take a yoga class or pick up a hobby that can take your mind off your problems.

I think it is very sad that we are in the prime of our lives, making more money than our parents did when they were our age and yet we have so many more problems. I think we may just be victims of our own success. We are more connected than ever and yet interact less. For instance, you can reach me at any one of 4 email addresses, 3 screen names, by commenting on this blog(seriously will someone comment), or by calling or texting my cell phone. Anyone in the world who wants to get in touch with me would not have to try too hard to do it and yet my life lacks interaction. But, it’s not just me; many of my friends feel the same way, distant from the rest of their generation, tied to their jobs and less than fulfilling personal lives.

I know what my solution to this is, it may not be for everyone, actually it’s probably not for many but I have never been one to follow the flock. The fact is that this generation is lacking experiences, trading them in for objects. So, my suggestion is to free yourself of the objects that tie you down. Forget the iPods, Plasma TVs and Home Theaters (all of which I have by the way) and experience something. My biggest regret if I ever have one will be spending more of my time worrying about what I can buy than what I can do. So, I am selling the TV and the Home Theater, although I think I will keep the iPod. The less I have to keep me inside the more likely I am to go out and experience the world. I have no more time for the comfortable boring life in the suburban townhouse; give me the city life or the life of the nomad, constantly moving if only to stop feeling trapped. Nothing we own is irreplaceable, your life is not what you own or what car you drive, now is the time to have the experiences that turn into the stories that you tell for the next 50 years. Stop buying more, start doing more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There....... happy?????? Your first comment! I hope this makes your day! And what the hell are you going to do without a TV? Did you forget about the blog you wrote on 1/26/06?
Talk to you tomorrow-
Christine

6:49 PM  
Blogger Leaf said...

Ha, Thanks Chrissy I know just a few days ago I was ranting about the incredible amount of TV I watch, which also by the way added to what I had to say today. Its time to stop watching and start doing.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home