Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

1.22.2006

Weekend Revelations

Lately the more significant events in my life have occurred on weekends. Obviously, during the work week its hard to accomplish much between doing actual work, getting to the gym, eating 6 times a day and of course watching the absurd number of TV shows I currently enjoy. So, I have made it a point to fully enjoy my weekends, this weekend was pretty packed and made me realize a few things. Here they are in order of occurence:

1. I hate computers:
This is a real problem for me since I work for a computer company. But I have come to the conclusion that nothing stresses me out more than my computer. It could be that I have to be on it 10 hours a day or that 90% of my contacts with the outside world are attained through it but I swear something is always wrong with this machine.






2. I am too old and too normal for Punk shows:
After the incredibly stressful afternoon I had on my laptop I was really looking forward to getting to see a concert. So, shortly after work I headed into DC and met up with a friend before heading to see Less Than Jake. Now, my friend and I might not have been the oldest people there but I would bet that only 10-15% were of legal drinking age. But it wasnt so much that we had out grown the band but rather that the younger fans didnt seem to have the energy and enthusiasm that we did when we younger. The fans definitely took away from the show and the band seemed to give a lackluster performance as well. The final result, as of today I will be more selective when deciding what shows to see in the future.


3. People you used to know really can surprise you:
I don't have a pic for this but I really wish I did. After the concert we decided to go grab a few beers since the night was still young and we were close to a few good bars. While hanging out in the basement of The Big Hunt discussing the interesting art on the walls we were approached by a girl we could not recognize. This gorgeous young lady then after I think realizing that we werent sure if we knew her decided to call both of us out by full name. So, being a little embarrassed but finally pulling together the memory, we struck up a conversation. Turns out the amazing woman in front of us had once been a young girl who dated one of our good friends. I remembered her as a cute, innocent looking girl but now she is very grown up beautiful and seemingly intelligent person. I don't think our friend who dated her saw the potential there but I have certainly learned my lesson, don't burn bridges, you never know how someone from your past is going to turn out.

4. The best place to meet people in DC is the Metro:
Both Friday and Saturday nights required a lot of time on the trains and they always lead to some interesting meetings. On Friday night while riding home by myself I met 5 German au pairs. Hilarious conversations ensued and numbers got exchanged. Then Saturday night my roommates and I ran into the same group of girls(not the German girls) on our way out and our way back in. Which led to more interesting situations. So, if your single goal for going out is to meet people you are wasting your time at the bars. From 2 - 3 AM the Metro is the best place to meet someone, it actually makes a lot of sense, everyone is already a little drunk and the metro is quieter and less crowded than any bar. Plus once you are on it there are no distractions other than people reaching there stop before you are ready to say goodbye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home