Free Leaf

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold..."

Name:
Location: Falls Church, Virginia, United States

I have a lot more questions than answers, but I just keep asking. I constantly want to leave, but somehow manage to stay. I am both perfectly happy and completely miserable because of it. I think I am misunderstood but that could just be a huge misunderstanding, either way I guess the best way to put it is, "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong."

12.28.2005

Spielberg's Munich

Last Friday Spielberg released his somewhat controversial geo-political thriller that is loosely based on the real events of the 1972 Munich Massacre. I have yet to see this movie and the decision to see it and support the film has left me somewhat torn. I have heard the criticism about this being more about today's world and Spielberg's own political motives. I have heard that it is not an endictment of Israeli policies or American ones for that matter, but in reading the Cinema Confidential review you can clearly see the motives behind the script. Even in this review from a site based specifically on entertainment you can't help but get the tone that Spielberg and Tony Kushner, noted anti-zionist and screenplay writer, want to portray. That impression is that the policies of modern day Israel and that of the United States war on terror are counter-productive. Violence begets violence, but it does not seem to them to go deeper than that. They use a historical tragedy and the greatly disputed information of the book Vengeance to condemn aggressive defense. This may be a great film, but I am not sure I can support it since it seems to speak so strongly against my political beliefs just as it is for Sam Freedman a professor at Columbia. So, I may see this movie, but to do that I will have to make a conscious decision to separate Spielberg's fiction from the facts of the Jewish States right to defend itself in 1972 as it does today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home